collapse

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
CV Tips / Re: Writing an unsolicited cover letter
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 08, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »
Film is a glamour profession and it can take years, even working for nothing, to break in. I appreciate your problems because I have been trying to hawk a script idea for years.

I do not know any better than you but my approach is to be brief, highly professional, try to talk the talk and send them something easy to handle in terms of an example.
CV Tips / Writing an unsolicited cover letter
« Last post by leo29 on January 08, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
I'm a recent film school graduate who just moved out to LA and I'm trying to land an entry level job as a script reader. I'd always heard that creating a generic letter with interchangeable titles was the way to go, but after sending out dozens of those with no response whatsoever, I'm starting to wonder if my technique needs work. Is it utterly out of the question to use humor in a cover letter in an effort to make your name memorable, or would this be perceived as unprofessional, even in an industry as liberal as film? I don't want to keep hitting a brick wall with my submissions, so any advice would be great. I just need to get noticed without it costing me another lost opportunity.
CV Tips / Re: Salary on CV?
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 08, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
I think there may be some careers which putting your salary on your CV may be a good thing (I thinking along the lines of performance based commissions, etc) but on the whole I don't think it's a great idea.

For most people, it's extra information that's largely irrelevant to your work history - CV's get cluttered enough without excessive information.

I've also had interviewers asking my past / current salary - I'm not really sure how to avoid the question to be honest! Maybe someone else can offer advice on that!
CV Tips / Salary on CV?
« Last post by alissooon42 on January 08, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »
I know a lot of application forms ask you to put your salary on them, but should you be doing it on your CV?

Also, if an employer asks you your current or previous salary (during an interview) how can you avoid telling them? I've always felt that outright refusing to answer would leave a bad impression.

Thanks
CV Tips / Help with CV as I have been away for a year
« Last post by juliee25 on January 08, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »
I have been working in the IT field for about 5 years. Last year I decided to move country and do some travelling. I ended up in a dead end temping job for a few months and am now moving back to my old country. I was wondering what to put on my CV. Should I just mention I did some travelling for a year and not mention the dead end job or should I put it in my CV?

I am wanting to get back into an IT role in the future.

Any help will be appreciated.
IT Jobs Forum / Which one is more effective: MCSE OR CCNA?
« Last post by jacksoon34 on January 08, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »
I am looking for a career change and am very interested in computer networking (having designed, installed and configured a few for myself, friends etc). I have no actual employment based experience or qualifications in IT (apart from a Dip He in Multimedia) and am therefore considering studying for a MCSE or CCNA exam.

I have a few questions with regards to this:
1) I have several possible avenues of study open to me - namely:
Distance learning
Boot camp
Self study

Which is considered the most effective?

2) I want the opportunity to work in Europe and to select contract work when possible (to maximise my free time). Is there any difference between the two qualifications with regards to their acceptability in Europe?

3) Which is considered the most popular when it comes to employment opportunities?

4) What are the chances of getting a position with a company, and getting them to train me for these qualifications?

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.
IT Jobs Forum / What area of IT would suit me?
« Last post by jeremeyy24 on January 08, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
I love Typing and I am currently studying the History of computers with a little in-depth knowledge of networks, pc peripherals and internal components. I have just sat my RSA level 2 exam. I did terribly at school but since I have had children and got my own PC all I have worked towards is a career in IT and preferably working within an office environment.

I have no idea what I want to do.

If I can't get a job with these qualifications then i wish to pursue my career by working towards a diploma in IT.

I have no experience in the IT sector and at the moment most employers will be pushed to employ me with no experience.

I'm not a great lover of the telephone either and I prefer to work out of the public eye.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
IT Jobs Forum / Career in Web Design - but I'm 40
« Last post by Jason Brown on January 08, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
I think my ideal job would be as a web designer. I have been interested in 'the internet' for about a year now and have a few basic websites and have dabbled in internet marketing, blogs, eBay, SEO and so on.

I'd like to earn my living from this full time. Either working for a web design company or perhaps as a freelance web designer/ developer.

But there is a problem........

1) I'm 40 years old, and this is a young persons game.
2) The work I have done to date has been in the public sector and totally unrelated to IT in any way
3) I've got loads to learn - PHP, ASP, MY SQL, Flash, Photoshop, to begin with - before I could become competent enough to work in this field, and this could take a long time, fitting in my training around other commitments.

Getting the knowledge is the easy part with websites, books and forums to help. But with the many barriers I have outlined above, I do wonder if this is just something I should save for my spare time, rather than a new career to support a wife and family for the next 20 years.

I'd be interested to know what other people think.
IT Jobs Forum / What types of careers can I get with these educations?
« Last post by Jamee Harvey on January 08, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
I would like to know what type of careers i can get with computer engineer, computer science, web design educations?

Thanks
IT Jobs Forum / IT career advice for a recent graduate
« Last post by jamess84 on January 08, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
I have just finished studying at a London University and I got a 2:2 in Law. I realised whilst studying that I wanted an IT career, and have got a Distinction in my MSc in Computing Science.

I really love working with people, so would I think be best suited to something like consultancy or project management. I have a little management experience, but nothing to really stand out. I would also be interested in working in the IT security field - combining my legal knowledge with my technical stuff.

Ok. My problem is the things I am looking to do - ie Project management and IT security all require experience for obvious reasons. How exactly can I go about getting this?

My A-Levels were not great - B Geography, C economics, B gen studies (dropped my other due to family illness of my gran) so applying to large companies like Accenture and IBM are not really an option.

Any suggestions would be excellent.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
postcv

* Recent Topics

Wrongful Dismissal Under 2 years by Matt
[March 23, 2017, 05:30:56 PM]

Tesco Summer Internships 2017 - Apply Now! by Learnist Careers
[March 21, 2017, 10:59:29 AM]

Writing an unsolicited cover letter by StephWard27
[March 20, 2017, 08:29:12 PM]

Do you know how to end a letter? by StephWard27
[March 20, 2017, 08:20:51 PM]