collapse

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
CV Tips / Should I use Cliché answers on a resume?
« Last post by ali16 on January 10, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »
I am planning to apply for a job at Tesco. One of the question is the generic "Why do you want to work here?". Answer is the obvious, I want it for the pay but do I need to use some cliché answers for this question?
CV Tips / What do you do when you have a really poor work history?
« Last post by weber19 on January 10, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
Really need advice. If you have had a really poor work history, lots of time off with no work, and more than a few jobs you have wlked out on (job abandonment), how do you go about filling out a resume? Do you list the 8 jobs none of which are very good, or the one or two that you worked for long enough to have a semi positive input? Really want to turn my life around and become employed, I'm truly afraid at the age of 26 it may be too late.
That's precisely why I tell my high school students to talk to the people in the jobs they want and find out from them what specific education is required to get hired. Too many people get an education thinking that it will get them a job, only to find out that the education they got only helped fill empty university seats.
IT Jobs Forum / Re: What types of careers can I get with these educations?
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 10, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
You might try going to Monster.com or CareerBuilder.com and putting in those terms...  to see what comes up. In my career searches, I've used the keyword search on those sites to see what came up. That will call up any listings where those terms are used... not just in the title, but anywhere in the description. Don't limit the search area to your locale... let it just bring up whatever it can.

You can scan through these listings and see what fields are calling for people with your experience, and see what interests you. For example, using "web design" in a keyword search won't only bring up IT postings, but job postings from other areas like nonprofits, hospitals, malls, etc... anyone that's needing a web designer. As you find postings that catch your attention, make a note of them or, better yet, print them out. Then, figure out what it is about those positions that appeals to you. This might help you figure out where you want to direct your energies and apply your skills and degrees.

You may have heard about career counsellors suggesting you look through the classifieds in newspapers and circling any job posting that appeals to you... regardless of whether or not you have the necessary skills... as an exercise in identifying your interests. Going to the online job sites and doing keyword searches is essentially the same thing, just on a larger scale.
Experience can come handy. Certification may not bring that much value if you are a fresher.
IT Jobs Forum / Re: What area of IT would suit me?
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 10, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »
It's kinda hard to offer advice on this - IT is a large area! Smile So I think I'll throw off some ideas and you can point out any the interest you and we can take it from there.

Building PCs
Fixing PCs
Building databases
Working with spreadsheets; office applications
Web design
Teaching / training IT
Programming
Copywriting (writing content)
IT support / helpdesk
Information management

There's tonnes of other areas, but those are what I can think of right now! Wink

Ideally, you should be looking at what other areas you enjoy and trying to relate that with an area of IT. For example you said you enjoy typing - that could lead on to administration type roles or onto content / article / report writing, both of which are very different and require different skills and experience.
IT Jobs Forum / Re: Career in Web Design - but I'm 40
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 10, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »
The good thing about this game is that you can always do it as a hobby and make some money on the side with it! Wink

While the SEO / web design industry is more and more dominated by younger folks, I don't think that necessarily excludes others.

You have to start somewhere - whether it's earning money as a business or creating experience to apply for jobs with. I guess you've already got a website or two online so perhaps you could look at monetising those?

Or you could setup some more and slap on some advertising?
Interview Tips / Interview Follow Up: How much is too much?
« Last post by alisonn84 on January 09, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
How long after is the best to follow up an interview?
Interview Tips / Had a good interview 3 months ago - should I follow up?
« Last post by alisonn84 on January 09, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
Had a good interview 3 months ago with a company and nothing heard since then so shall I follow up?
CV Tips / Do you know how to end a letter?
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 08, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
How to end a covering letter is as important as a writing the whole letter. Do you know how to end a cover letter?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

* Recent Topics

What Career Would Suit Me? Advice Requested ! by Akynos
[May 18, 2017, 04:11:49 PM]

Direct Line Group Graduate Scheme - Programme 2017 by Learnist Careers
[May 18, 2017, 08:58:39 AM]

Iceland Jobs Application Form by amandainn
[May 15, 2017, 06:08:37 AM]

How do I write my first CV? by amandainn
[May 15, 2017, 05:57:15 AM]

question about bar work by Mops
[April 22, 2017, 07:18:45 PM]