collapse

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Experience can come handy. Certification may not bring that much value if you are a fresher.
IT Jobs Forum / Re: What area of IT would suit me?
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 10, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »
It's kinda hard to offer advice on this - IT is a large area! Smile So I think I'll throw off some ideas and you can point out any the interest you and we can take it from there.

Building PCs
Fixing PCs
Building databases
Working with spreadsheets; office applications
Web design
Teaching / training IT
Programming
Copywriting (writing content)
IT support / helpdesk
Information management

There's tonnes of other areas, but those are what I can think of right now! Wink

Ideally, you should be looking at what other areas you enjoy and trying to relate that with an area of IT. For example you said you enjoy typing - that could lead on to administration type roles or onto content / article / report writing, both of which are very different and require different skills and experience.
IT Jobs Forum / Re: Career in Web Design - but I'm 40
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 10, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »
The good thing about this game is that you can always do it as a hobby and make some money on the side with it! Wink

While the SEO / web design industry is more and more dominated by younger folks, I don't think that necessarily excludes others.

You have to start somewhere - whether it's earning money as a business or creating experience to apply for jobs with. I guess you've already got a website or two online so perhaps you could look at monetising those?

Or you could setup some more and slap on some advertising?
Interview Tips / Interview Follow Up: How much is too much?
« Last post by alisonn84 on January 09, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
How long after is the best to follow up an interview?
Interview Tips / Had a good interview 3 months ago - should I follow up?
« Last post by alisonn84 on January 09, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
Had a good interview 3 months ago with a company and nothing heard since then so shall I follow up?
CV Tips / Do you know how to end a letter?
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 08, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
How to end a covering letter is as important as a writing the whole letter. Do you know how to end a cover letter?
CV Tips / Re: Writing an unsolicited cover letter
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 08, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »
Film is a glamour profession and it can take years, even working for nothing, to break in. I appreciate your problems because I have been trying to hawk a script idea for years.

I do not know any better than you but my approach is to be brief, highly professional, try to talk the talk and send them something easy to handle in terms of an example.
CV Tips / Writing an unsolicited cover letter
« Last post by leo29 on January 08, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
I'm a recent film school graduate who just moved out to LA and I'm trying to land an entry level job as a script reader. I'd always heard that creating a generic letter with interchangeable titles was the way to go, but after sending out dozens of those with no response whatsoever, I'm starting to wonder if my technique needs work. Is it utterly out of the question to use humor in a cover letter in an effort to make your name memorable, or would this be perceived as unprofessional, even in an industry as liberal as film? I don't want to keep hitting a brick wall with my submissions, so any advice would be great. I just need to get noticed without it costing me another lost opportunity.
CV Tips / Re: Salary on CV?
« Last post by Learnist Careers on January 08, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
I think there may be some careers which putting your salary on your CV may be a good thing (I thinking along the lines of performance based commissions, etc) but on the whole I don't think it's a great idea.

For most people, it's extra information that's largely irrelevant to your work history - CV's get cluttered enough without excessive information.

I've also had interviewers asking my past / current salary - I'm not really sure how to avoid the question to be honest! Maybe someone else can offer advice on that!
CV Tips / Salary on CV?
« Last post by alissooon42 on January 08, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »
I know a lot of application forms ask you to put your salary on them, but should you be doing it on your CV?

Also, if an employer asks you your current or previous salary (during an interview) how can you avoid telling them? I've always felt that outright refusing to answer would leave a bad impression.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
postcv

* Recent Topics

How do I write my first CV? by markgill
[April 24, 2017, 07:19:39 AM]

question about bar work by Mops
[April 22, 2017, 07:18:45 PM]

Part time job interview at wetherspoon! any tips? by amyjohncse
[April 19, 2017, 01:13:50 PM]

How To Make An Outstanding CV? by markgill
[April 19, 2017, 11:01:22 AM]