collapse

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Interview Tips / Re: Should I disclose about tattoos during a job interview?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 14, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »
Hello!

Legally a company cannot judge you based on tattoos, however, that doesn't mean they don't make a judgement.  I myself have four tattoos, one of which is around my wrist, and I always wear long sleeves or a chunky watch over it for interviews and the like. This is a conscious decision, and it comes down to me personally having a very traditional view of what others deem to be professional.

If you have offensive tattoos, such as those depicting guns, knives, needles, nudity or swearing, then absolutely unquestionably you should cover them in all professional environments.

If you attend an interview for the NHS, their 'bare below the elbow' policy stipulates no offensive tattoos and you should therefore disclose them. However, if a company is simply 'not good with' tattoos as you say, I'd cover them for the interview and not disclose them unless they ask. They shouldn't ask though, because they open themselves up to lawsuits if they then don't hire you as a result of you having tattoos.

Typically, in an environment where your tattoos can be covered by uniform or other clothing, then there is no issue. There is no correct answer to your question but you should use your best judgement.
I feel your pain!

I have had this problem with two companies. With the first company, a small, family run company, I just politely spoke to my boss and it was resolved quickly. This is what I recommend you do initially: speak to your boss or HR manager.

With the second company, it got much more complicated. I was technically going from being on benefits to being self employed, and I now in March 2017, await funds dating back to September 2016. Naturally when I was owed two months payments I resigned. I then had to pursue this through court, and I am still pushing through this. I am also suing for loss of earnings, benefits that I was unable to receive, and further compensation. They are incredibly unhappy about this and have even gone as far as to threaten me, to a point where, except for in court, they are subject to a police restraining order, preventing them from contacting me at all, or being within 100m of me or my home. This sadly is the worst case scenario.

I recommend if they do not permanently resolve the issue and it happens again, you should seek advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau or solicitor promptly. They will be able to recommend next steps. ACAS is also a valuable resource and can be found on Google.

You must remember, you don't work for free and if they don't pay you promptly and you have to pursue official measures, they are only set to lose further!
In October 2015, it was announced that from February 2016, all Aldi employees would be paid a minimum of £8.40 per hour, way ahead of the national minimum wage, also known as the national living wage for over 25s.

It might be worth mentioning here for those interested, that Aldi like to promote internally, and their managers, although the current salary isn't publicly available, are reported to be on significantly more than their counterparts in other companies (up to £37,000 annum for an average store).
On April 1st 2017, the minimum wage is set to increase as follows:
The National Living Wage (the minimum wage paid to over-25's) will go up to £7.50 per hour – an extra 30p an hour.The National Minimum Wage will rise as follows:Age 21-24 £7.05 – an extra 10p an hour.
Age 18-20: £5.60 – an extra 5p an hour
Under 18: £4.05 – an extra 5p an hour
Apprentice: £3.50 – an extra 10p an hour
Interview Tips / Re: RESUME WRITING
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 13, 2017, 08:08:07 PM »
Hi!

Before you even start writing your resume or CV, you need to thoroughly read and understand the job description. Print and highlight key points if you find it helpful. Then look at which of these points you have experience of or have worked in previously.

When writing your resume, always start with an about me statement. In college, I was taught to use the following format:

'I am a (adjective), (adjective) individual with a (passion for/background in) seeking employment as a (job title).'

You can't tinker with the 'Education' section of your CV, but you can tailor the 'Previous Employment' section and the 'Skills and Attributes' section to suit the information you gleaned from the job description.

Employers in IT typically look for an IT related qualification - a degree or other form of further study. You should also know what kinds of software your role would require and state the ones you have experience of (although don't discuss the ones you haven't worked with).

Finally, a strong cover letter to accompany your resume will introduce you briefly and politely.

Good luck!
Hi!

Whoops! Talk about an error of judgement. We all make mistakes. The best policy is always honesty, but Mary Poppins always said a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. I'd tell the interviewer you were dismissed for misuse of company property, and if they ask you to elaborate, simply say you made an error in judgement and used the company PC to view material that wasn't directly related to your job.

You don't need to say more than that.

Good luck in whatever you do next!
Interview Tips / RESUME WRITING
« Last post by Peter Robi on March 11, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
Hello ! I am current looking for a job in IT kindly advice on how i will write a resume that will help me secure an interview.
How much do sales assistants earn in 2017? What is the pay for a sales assistant in the UK?

The average salary is £16,240

The average hourly rate is £7.03

Waitrose sales assistant hourly pay is £7.41
Boots sales assistant hourly pay is £7.43
Superdry sales assistant hourly pay is £7.03
Sports Direct sales assistant hourly pay is £7.29
John Lewis sales assistant hourly pay is £7.34
How much does a game tester make in a year? How much do video game testers earn in 2017?

What is the hourly pay for a video game tester in the UK?

HourlyYearlyFigures are depending on the employer and your experience.
What is the mimimum wage in the UK 2017?

The Government's National Living Wage was introduced on 1 April 2016 for all working people aged 25 and over, and is currently set at £7.20 per hour. In April 2017 it will go up to £7.50. The current National Minimum Wage for those under the age of 25 still applies.

The rates from 1 October 2016 are:
  • £7.20 per hour - 25 yrs old and over
  • £6.95 per hour - 21-24 yrs old
  • £5.55 per hour 18-20 yrs old
  • £4 per hour - 16-17 yrs old
  • £3.40 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship.
The rate will then change every April starting April 2017. The rates from 1 April 2017 will be:
  • £7.50 per hour - 25 yrs old and over
  • £7.05 per hour - 21-24 yrs old
  • £5.60 per hour - 18-20 yrs old
  • £4.05 per hour - 16-17 yrs old
  • £3.50 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

* Recent Topics

Beauty Therapist CV Example by amandainn
[June 28, 2017, 05:13:08 PM]

Pizza hut job interview is coming up! any tips? by amandainn
[June 28, 2017, 11:30:25 AM]

I lied during a job interview, how to fix this in second interview? by Rob56
[June 27, 2017, 11:27:47 AM]

Post Office Customer Service Assistant Cover Letter by Ayabonga
[June 26, 2017, 05:12:22 PM]

How to search for a testing job in london by Swetha
[June 22, 2017, 12:37:33 PM]