collapse

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Job Seekers Advice / Wrongful Dismissal Under 2 years
« Last post by Matt on March 23, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »
I was recently the victim of a wrongful dismissal but because I had only been in the position for one year I was unable to take any appropriate action via ACAS.

I was in a team of 4 in an office role and there was no management on site. I excelled in my work and always showed commitment. Two of the staff turned against me. They stopped all communication with me which made my job impossible. When I approached the management with this issue I was sacked.

The two staff members had already lied about my conduct to the management.

Now I have this enormous blemish on my CV and I am finding it very difficult to explain what happened and I'm being turned down for new posts because of this. I am now unemployed.

I feel very hard done by and this has affected my health.

Previous advice on this matter has been about how to negotiate this issue in an interview but I am also finding that it is a barrier at the application stages.

I would appreciate some help in this matter. Not only in terms of finding a new job but also concerning any possible action I can take against the company and/or the people concerned.

I'm in the UK.
Tesco Job Vacancies / Tesco Summer Internships 2017 - Apply Now!
« Last post by Learnist Careers on March 21, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »

If you are interested in taking an internship with Tesco in Summer 2017 then check out this page to learn more about it.

• Finance
  • Marketing
  • Technology
  • Stores
  • Commercial Operations
  • Supply Chain
Training will be given by Tesco.

Tesco Summer Internships 2017

Only our Technology & Commercial Operations Summer Internship programmes are still open for 2017.

Our Summer Internships give you 10 weeks of fantastic work experience. You will be part of team driven towards providing customers with an exceptional shopping trip and receive some great training from our Academy along the way too!

You could also gain a fast track place on to one of our graduate programmes.

A summer internship gives you a fantastic opportunity to be inspired about the possibilities ahead of you and a chance to understand the opportunities available to you in retail. You'll get the chance to experience our business first hand, discover the Tesco culture and take on real responsibility.

You will build your professional network, get invaluable work experience and benefit from training and development whilst you are with us.  Plus the opportunity to get to know lots of likeminded, passionate and interesting students, all on the same journey as you! 

You could also gain a fast track place on to one of our graduate programmes.

Apply now!
CV Tips / Re: Writing an unsolicited cover letter
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 20, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
Film is indeed a very difficult industry to get into, and I would consider taking absolutely any job within the industry, not just limiting yourself to the role of script reader.

I'd probably avoid the use of humour unless you're certain it sounds highly polished and would make them laugh with you, not at you. You have to leave them wanting more. Don't just use a generic letter - do your research. It might sound dull, but the way you communicate what you have learned from research is what makes the recruiter realise you are serious about the job. I read my university interviewers past years' papers so i could use his own interests to seduce him at interview- it worked!
CV Tips / Re: Do you know how to end a letter?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 20, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »
It depends who you are writing to! Standard format dictates that:

1) if you start your letter with "Dear Sir/Madam", you end with "Yours Faithfully"
2) if you start with "Dear (Person's Name), you end with "Yours Sincerely"
3) You can use "Kind regards" pretty much anywhere, although its usually used in emails or when you're doing a bit of sucking up.

CV Tips / Re: How do I write my first CV?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 20, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »
MS Word has a few templates that will help you get a basic structure. Start with a Personal Profile, or About Me section, then flow to your education and extra curricular activities, your work history including work experience placements, your skills/hobbies/attributes, and your references. It is advisable to put "available on request" for your references, but you could always include a letter of recommendation to support your CV, especially if writing your first one, as you might not have very much experience yet to bulk it out with.
CV Tips / Re: What do you do when you have a really poor work history?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 20, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »
Job abandonment looks terrible to a future employer, and so I would tread very carefully. If I were you, I'd look at getting a job somewhere that isn't especially picky for staff, or where you have a contact who can set you up based on the trust that you won't screw up like you have previously. Whatever job you have, agree to yourself to stick at it for a minimum of a year. You need to rebuild your reputation. Also remember, a good cover letter could support your CV - only include jobs where you have stayed three months or longer.
CV Tips / Re: What do i need to write on my personal statement?
« Last post by donny on March 18, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
Do i need to write a personal statement for my CV? If yes then what do i need to write on my personal statement?

Thanks

You will need to answer questions like who are you? So sharing details about you are critical. Disclose relevant experience and talents in your personal statement. Your employer needs to understand about your career goals. You’ll need to demonstrate that you’re ambitious and how this aligns with your growth and goals in general.
Interview Tips / Re: How honest should you be in a job interview?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »
To be totally blunt, as someone who used to assist in interviews in community pharmacy, lying in an interview is the worst possible idea. Sugar coating or emphasising certain points is totally acceptable, and being vague about a dismissal is almost expected, but to falsify information is a sackable offense.

A little trick I learned to catch out those lying about foreign language skills, is to learn one sentence from the language they claim to speak. Something like 'so how strong would you say your (language) is?' spoken in the foreign language. If they look at you with a horrified expression, chances are they exaggerated their ability. If someone lies about one thing,it implies they will be willing to lie about other things.

Deceit is not a desirable quality in an employee, nor a person.
CV Tips / Re: What do i need to write on my personal statement?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
It is not necessary to enclose a personal statement with a CV - but you might like to attach a cover letter instead. Just introduce yourself, and refer to your CV (e.g. "As you can see from my CV, my skills in (skill) and my educational background in (subject) make me an excellent candidate for this vacancy, as per the job description.")

Another tip I learned in college was, start your CV with an 'About Me' or 'Personal profile'. It should be a complex sentence just saying who you are and what you are about. I learned this format:

"I am a (adjective, adjective) individual with a passion for/keen interest in (choose  one), seeking employment as (job title)."

Short, sweet, and concise!

CV Tips / Re: What is the best CV format in 2017?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »
I'd probably recommend sending a CV in PDF format - that way, recruiters can access them on tablets or from their mobile phone if they are working on the go. Just ensure that your CV is clear and easy to read.

Some online applications will specify a format; if so, adhere to their preferences to speed up your application. If the employer can't read your CV, its unlikely they will email you and ask you to send it again - harsh but true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

* Recent Topics

What Career Would Suit Me? Advice Requested ! by Akynos
[May 18, 2017, 04:11:49 PM]

Direct Line Group Graduate Scheme - Programme 2017 by Learnist Careers
[May 18, 2017, 08:58:39 AM]

Iceland Jobs Application Form by amandainn
[May 15, 2017, 06:08:37 AM]

How do I write my first CV? by amandainn
[May 15, 2017, 05:57:15 AM]

question about bar work by Mops
[April 22, 2017, 07:18:45 PM]