collapse

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CV Tips / Re: How do I write my first CV?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 20, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »
MS Word has a few templates that will help you get a basic structure. Start with a Personal Profile, or About Me section, then flow to your education and extra curricular activities, your work history including work experience placements, your skills/hobbies/attributes, and your references. It is advisable to put "available on request" for your references, but you could always include a letter of recommendation to support your CV, especially if writing your first one, as you might not have very much experience yet to bulk it out with.
CV Tips / Re: What do you do when you have a really poor work history?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 20, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »
Job abandonment looks terrible to a future employer, and so I would tread very carefully. If I were you, I'd look at getting a job somewhere that isn't especially picky for staff, or where you have a contact who can set you up based on the trust that you won't screw up like you have previously. Whatever job you have, agree to yourself to stick at it for a minimum of a year. You need to rebuild your reputation. Also remember, a good cover letter could support your CV - only include jobs where you have stayed three months or longer.
CV Tips / Re: What do i need to write on my personal statement?
« Last post by donny on March 18, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
Do i need to write a personal statement for my CV? If yes then what do i need to write on my personal statement?

Thanks

You will need to answer questions like who are you? So sharing details about you are critical. Disclose relevant experience and talents in your personal statement. Your employer needs to understand about your career goals. You’ll need to demonstrate that you’re ambitious and how this aligns with your growth and goals in general.
Interview Tips / Re: How honest should you be in a job interview?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »
To be totally blunt, as someone who used to assist in interviews in community pharmacy, lying in an interview is the worst possible idea. Sugar coating or emphasising certain points is totally acceptable, and being vague about a dismissal is almost expected, but to falsify information is a sackable offense.

A little trick I learned to catch out those lying about foreign language skills, is to learn one sentence from the language they claim to speak. Something like 'so how strong would you say your (language) is?' spoken in the foreign language. If they look at you with a horrified expression, chances are they exaggerated their ability. If someone lies about one thing,it implies they will be willing to lie about other things.

Deceit is not a desirable quality in an employee, nor a person.
CV Tips / Re: What do i need to write on my personal statement?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
It is not necessary to enclose a personal statement with a CV - but you might like to attach a cover letter instead. Just introduce yourself, and refer to your CV (e.g. "As you can see from my CV, my skills in (skill) and my educational background in (subject) make me an excellent candidate for this vacancy, as per the job description.")

Another tip I learned in college was, start your CV with an 'About Me' or 'Personal profile'. It should be a complex sentence just saying who you are and what you are about. I learned this format:

"I am a (adjective, adjective) individual with a passion for/keen interest in (choose  one), seeking employment as (job title)."

Short, sweet, and concise!

CV Tips / Re: What is the best CV format in 2017?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »
I'd probably recommend sending a CV in PDF format - that way, recruiters can access them on tablets or from their mobile phone if they are working on the go. Just ensure that your CV is clear and easy to read.

Some online applications will specify a format; if so, adhere to their preferences to speed up your application. If the employer can't read your CV, its unlikely they will email you and ask you to send it again - harsh but true.
Career Advice / Re: Top 10 Things to Remember If You Want to Change Your Job
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
I cannot emphasise enough the importance of doing your research. I had an interview at Newcastle University and I actually looked up the interview panel in the run up to the interview to ensure I had intelligent things to say to them that piqued their interest or was in their area of expertise. It worked - I got the place! The same thing applies to job interviews.

If you are able to fire their buzzwords back at them, they will be seriously impressed too.

And finally, most companies will ask for two forms of ID, including a passport or driving license, and proof of address no older than three months old. And if you get an interview, TAKE IT WITH YOU! A friend of mine  forgot one thing in an interview with Asda, and they wouldn't even let her sign in, so she didn't even get interviewed. A hard lesson learned.
I am so sorry to hear you are having this problem. I too had a similar problem - people rush to interview me, but I have been pipped at the post three times. Once I believe was because they realised during the interview that I was pregnant; once was because I applied for a job working with recovering addicts, and they gave the job to a recovered addict; once was because there were over 500 applicants for the job, 50 were interviewed, and the one who got the job had more experience than me.

It might be that the industry you are applying for is incredibly competitive - many people applying for the same job. If you can get feedback from the interviewers, that would be helpful. Just write to them and ask what they were looking for that you couldn't offer. I wish you luck in your future applications!
CV Tips / Re: Should I use Cliché answers on a resume?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 16, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
Whatever you do, don't blurt out 'I want your MONEY!'.... but you could use some of the following points to answer their question. Try not to make them sound cliche, but rather make them sound honest.

Examples:
-Competitive rate of pay
-Excellent company to work for
-Easy for me to commute to
-I enjoy customer-orientation in my work
-Excellent employment benefits
-Hours suit my lifestyle

CV Tips / Re: How do I write a CV for a 17 years old for a part time job?
« Last post by StephWard27 on March 15, 2017, 08:51:53 PM »
Finding a job when you're under 25 is hard these days, and under 18's have it even harder! Without having experience, you have a lot to prove to a potential employer, which is why most schools are part of the work experience programme that operates nationwide. From this, you gain experience of a real working environment, and if you do a decent job, you get the benefit of having met a manager who can give you a work reference in the future.

This absolutely should be included in your CV. Have a look at the templates and samples here for further guidance on how to constuct the bones of the CV.

Got no work experience? Ask one of your teachers for a letter of recommendation and include information in your education section about anyextra curricular activities where you have worked in a team, had leadership, or have developed certain skills. My friend landed a job in a call centre aged 17 with no experience as a German speaking operator, because she did the British Airways Language Flag award in German. Underestimate nothing.

Good luck with your CV and job hunt!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
postcv

* Recent Topics

How do I write my first CV? by markgill
[April 24, 2017, 07:19:39 AM]

question about bar work by Mops
[April 22, 2017, 07:18:45 PM]

Part time job interview at wetherspoon! any tips? by amyjohncse
[April 19, 2017, 01:13:50 PM]

How To Make An Outstanding CV? by markgill
[April 19, 2017, 11:01:22 AM]