collapse

Author Topic: Top 10 Tips to Write a Personal Profile for Your CV  (Read 16084 times)

Offline Learnist Careers

• Administrator
Top 10 Tips to Write a Personal Profile for Your CV
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »

A personal profile is the part about you that a recruiter or employer reads about you and your current and previous skills. It is important to make it sound right and for you to utilise these few paragraphs to sell yourself to an employer.

It is important to think carefully about what you want to include in your personal profile and relate this to the job that you are hoping to get or the industry that you are hoping to join. Below are some tips of what to include and what to write in your personal profile.

#1 Have your qualifications and details relating to them to hand

Before starting your personal profile, make sure that if the job that you are applying for is heavily reliant on having the right qualifications then you have your qualifications to hand before starting to write down what you have achieved. There is no point in trying to remember the dates, its best to have it all in front of you so that you get the details 100% accurate.

Related: CV Personal Profile Example for Retail

#2 Explain the descriptive words you use around your qualifications or work history

Don’t just use words that are descriptive words such as: organised, methodical, self motivated but explain them in the context of your employment history or qualifications. For example: I like to work in an organised manner and have been responsible for organising events and ensuring that these run smoothly or because of the nature of my work, working as an analyst, I need to work in a methodical manner so that I do not miss an important detail in my work.

#3 Back up what you are trying to tell an employer

Try to give examples to an employer to back up your skills for example – good customer service skills, how eg: I have won our team prize three times for providing excellent customer service skills.

#4 Remember it is not a covering letter

You have a few short paragraphs to write about yourself so remember you have a lot to say in a short space. If your personal profile is too long, an employer will not want to read it.

Related: CV Personal Profile Example for Accountant

#5 Use a clear font

Fancy italics and strange fonts are not always clear to read, try to keep a professional document as such in a formal writing format which is clear to read first time.

#6 Use direct language, be clear

Don’t use fancy big words that are meaningless to most people, use common language that gets the point across rather than showing that you have swallowed a dictionary.

#7 When you are finished, have someone impartial proof read it for you

This is very important tip so that your personal profile can be read from someone else’s perspective and not only can they check for spellings and grammar but they can also read it how an employer or recruiter will read it. It is very hard to do this yourself.

#8 Give a snap shot about what you have done

Sum up what you have done and how relevant you think it is to this role or industry, this is what an employer wants to know and to see if it is worth interviewing you.

#9 Explain where your future lies

Think where your future lies, imagine you are already in an interview and the interviewer wants to know where you think you will be in five years time, then put that on paper and to ensure that it matches with the job requirements or a good plan from the industry perspective.

#10 Stick to the facts

Do not waffle in a personal profile. It may be a good idea to do the rest of your application form or CV and then do the personal profile last when you have had the chance to think about your skill set and how you can summarise this. Purely stick to your most important qualification relevant to this role, the work experience that you have done to date related to this new role and where your passion and enthusiasm lies for this role and your long term future. Don’t go on about opinion, make sure that you can give some evidence behind what you are saying sticking clearly to the facts and what will impress the recruiter.

jesstay

Re: Top 10 Tips to Write a Personal Profile for Your CV
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »
I will try to write one for my application today. thanks

cara45

Re: Top 10 Tips to Write a Personal Profile for Your CV
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »
I have worked in roles before when it is really important to have a large vocabulary and use lots of big words. If I felt that the role that I was applying for required this, would it be better to use these in the personal profile or should I still use clear language and easily understandable words?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
who is the leader of the Labour Party? (UK):

* Recent Topics

Asda Sheffield Drakehouse Supermarket Jobs - 550 Job Vacancies by ms i wignell
[August 27, 2017, 01:05:52 PM]

Salary on CV? by sandeshbukate
[August 25, 2017, 04:45:00 AM]

CV Checklist: 5 Things to Remember When Writing a CV by sandeshbukate
[August 10, 2017, 05:20:23 AM]

How do you know if your CV is up to standard? by CV-Centre
[August 08, 2017, 09:13:14 AM]

jobs in UK by joan
[August 04, 2017, 04:02:54 PM]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38